HERB - linen waters/spray

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Dec 27 13:51:07 PST 2000

A couple of period linen waters recipes:

Jeanne Rose quotes a 'Sweet Water for Perfuming Clothes' which she says is
a sixteenth-century recipe:

     "To 1 qt. rose water, add the following: 1/2 oz. lavender, 2 oz.
orris, 1/2 oz. jasmine flowers, 1 t.
     musk, a pinch of ambergris and civet, 5 drops of clove oil. Put it
all into a glass jar, fasten down
     the lid, and place it in a sunny window for 10 days. Then strain and
set aside the liquid for use."

>From Bulleins Bulwarke, 1562 (quoted by Jacqueline Heriteau, in Potpourris
and other Fragrant Delights):

Sixteenth-Century Sweet Water for Linens

     Three pounds of Rose water, cloves, cinnamon, Sauders [sandalwood], 2
handful of the flowers
     of Lavender, lette it stand a moneth to still in the sonne, well
closed in a glasse; Then destill it in
     Balneo Marial. It is marvellous pleasant in savour, a water of
wondrous swetenes, for the bedde,
     whereby the whole place, shall have a most pleasaunt scent.

>From Hugh Platt's Delights for Ladies, 1594 (quoted by Jacqueline
Heriteau, in Potpourris and other
Fragrant Delights)

     To make a special sweet water to perfume clothes in the folding being
washed. Take a quart of
     Damaske-Rose-Water and put it into a glasse, put unto it a handful of
Lavender Flowers, two
     ounces of Orris, a dram of Muske, the weight of four pence of
Amber-greece [ambergris], as
     much Civet, foure drops of Oyle of Clove, stop this close, and set it
in the Sunne a fortnight: put
     one spoonfull of this Water into a bason of common water and put it
inot a a glasse and so
     sprinkle your clothes therewith in your folding: the dregs, left in
the bottome (when the water is
     spent) will make as much more, if you keepe them, and put fresh Rose
water to it.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"