HERB - Mistletoe

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Feb 23 19:40:49 PST 2000

Um, actually, mistletoe is not seriously toxic in small doses.  European
mistletoe [Viscum album] in particular has been used medicinally as a
sedative and anti-spasmodic for centuries.  I would suggest that its
toxicity level would be comparable to poppy or datura; it has medicinal
uses, but overdoses can cause death.  Therefore it should not be used by
the general populace, nor should it be used by sensitive individuals,
children, pregnant or nursing women...  The berries are more toxic than
the leaves (at least to humans - apparently birds are not harmed by
eating them).  And American mistletoe [Phoradendron flavescens] is
slightly more toxic than the European species, and the medicinal uses
less well-defined.  It is not particularly hallucinogenic; overdosage
causes sedation, respiratory depression, convulsions - at least according
to the books I checked.  I have used American mistletoe [leaves] in a
sedative tea with no ill effects.

Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra

Sources: "A Modern Herbal", by Mrs. M. Grieve, Dover reprint (1971) of
1931 original
"The Holistic Herbal", by David Hoffmann, Element Books (1983) -
excellent reference, BTW
"Stalking the Healthful Herbs", by Euell Gibbons, David McKay Co. (1966)
"Herbal Manual", by Harold Ward, L N Fowler & Co. (1967)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:55:04 -0800 (PST) Kristopher Imbellicus
<anacronist at excite.com> writes:
>  Just acouple notes.
>  It doesn't have to be eaten.  It's designed to stick to critters to be
spread.  Matter of fact mistletoe is a highly poisonous hallucinagenic.