HERB - period wedding flowers

meaduewolf@juno.com meaduewolf at juno.com
Sat Jan 22 08:22:15 PST 2000

Greetings My Lady and congratulations!
I use to be apprenticed in this area and I was a florist before moving
last year......
There are two main books I depend on for this type of thing....
"The Complete Guide to Flower & Foliage Arrangement...Edited by Iris Webb
ISBN 0-385-15119-5
The Art of Floral Design by Norah T. Hunter
ISBN 0-8273-5089-9

And another little book that is good on the meanings
A Victorian Grimoire by Patricia Telesco
ISBN 0-87542-784-7

Depending on the time period and place there are a lot of flowers to
choose from.
Here is a short list, from my short memory.....

Roses (not the hybrids we have today tho but )
Lilies, Carnations, Hyacinth, Iris, Honeysuckle, Narcissus, Violet,
Poppy, Daisy, Fragrant Spring Blossoms (apple, Quince, etc. ), Crocus,
Phlox, Geraniums, Clover, Primrose, Anemone, Campanula, Stock, Lilly of
the Valley, Marigold, Monkshood, Lupine, Pansy, Narcissus,Lilac, Peony,
Sunflowers, Snowball, Tulips, Larkspur, Snapdragon, Aster
Greens
Ivy, Laurel, Myrtle, olive Leaves, Oak leaves,Boxwood, Evergreen, Ferns

As far as meanings there is a meaning for every flower but here is a
short list for the main color meanings...
Pink for new love
red for old love
Yellow for Lost Love or Jealousy
White for purity