HERB - period wedding flowers

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Sun Jan 23 23:23:51 PST 2000

> From: Warren & Meredith Harmon <corwynsca at juno.com>
> May I second this?  I've been looking for a good book on flower language.
>  I remember the book "The Language of Flowers" a few years back, but I
> didn't get to look at it and don't know if it's any good.  Any book
> recommendations, or reviews?
>
> -Caro

I have a copy, and I have enjoyed referencing it on occaision.  It is
pretty simple, just lists the flower and the meaning.  Meanings are usually
one word, but sometimes a whole sentence.  It is arranged in alphebetical
order by common flower name, and each letter has a little poem or saying at
the beginning.   In the second part of the book, it is arranged by desired
message.  Just remember that this is Victorian, with no indication of how
far back the meanings actually go.

I believe that John Lust's herb book, as well as Rodale's and the Reader's
Digest _Myth and Magic of Plants_  have some of the medieval/traditional
meanings of various plants.

Melandra