HERB - Re: HERB Stepanie's complexion question

Lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Fri Jun 9 13:30:01 PDT 2000

stephanie stuart Wrote:
i am hoping for some advice on my complexion. i have a ruddy
> skin tone(don't know if there is anything for that) and i feel greasy all
> the time. is there something out there that will slow down the old oil
> glands? help! i feel a constant battle with my skin:(

This is problbly of little consolation, but consider yourself blessed.  As
you age this will become less of a problem.  With age our skin tends to
become dryer producing less and less oil.  Then you tend to wish you had it.
 For something quick, (and refreshing) I'd recomend witch hazel, splashed or
dabbed on and let air dry.  To avoid increasing the ruddy apearance avoid
"scrubs" as these tend to have some sort of abrasive which can make skin
appear redder.
Try this slightly astringent mask Combine equal parts of apricot and
strawberry pulp.  Add one table spoon of honey and a teaspoon of milk.
Or try this one. Make a thick past of brewer's yeast and buttermilk.  Some
lemon rind  makes a nice addition when not in a hurry and use as a mask.
Sour cream and yougurt are excellent for oily skin add some mint infusion to
this mask.  (infusing is done by steeping herbs in hot water)
Parsley is an ant-oil agent the is useful in facials for oily skin.  Try
mashed cucumber with parsley ad two tbs vinegar.  Try and infusion of
parsley.
There are really no rules here try combinations that work for you.
This infusion is a bracing combination of herbs that help keep oil under
control and give a pleasing aroma.  Infuse two parts anise, two parts clove,
and one part orange rind and one part lavender.  Strain and cool.
This is good for irritated skin.  Two part sorrel, one part dandelion, and
one half part comfrey and infuse strain and cool .

Cook some barley and use the water on your face.

Instead of using water to remove masks use witch hazel or one of the
infusions that you have cooled and kept in fridg.
There is really no miracle here but some of these things may help.
Keep face scrulplously clean.  Don't rub or irritate skin (this just
stimulates oil glands to produce)
Things that are acidic, like sour cream, sour milk and sour milk products,
citrus, strawberries, and vinagars are useful.  Soap is alkaline and may
stimulate oil glands.  If ruddiness is a problem do as little to increase
ruddiness by avoiding irritation
Hope you find something useful here that help a little. As I said,  don't be
afraid to mix different items from different recipes.  Or use just a single
ingredient listed.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. Lynette