HERB - Sekanjabin

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Mar 2 13:58:22 PST 2000

> 	Hookay, here it is: put 2 1/2 cups water into a saucepan, add 4
> cups sugar, bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve sugar.  Add 1 cup
> wine vinegar, lower heat to simmer & let cook for 20 minutes.  Remove
> from heat, add 6 sprigs fresh mint (or several tablespoons dried mint, or
> 6 Celestial Seasonings tea bags - spearmint is best, but Peppermint also
> works).  Let cool & strain, then bottle syrup.  Dilute with cold water, 1
> part syrup to 12 parts water.

I tend to use two big handfuls of mint rather than the one Cariadoc
suggests, but I don't reduce the syrup by half as suggested by Cariadoc.
(Someone said they've had sekanjibin syrup go bad, but I think if you make
the syrup thick enough (reduce by at least 1/3) and keep it in a tightly
closed bottle, it will not need refrigeration.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom/No longer lend our strength to that
which we wish to be free from/Fill lives with love and bravery/And we shall
lead a life uncommon." -- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_