HERB - Sekanjabin

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Mar 7 14:36:52 PST 2000

At 4:58 PM -0500 3/2/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>I tend to use two big handfuls of mint rather than the one Cariadoc
>suggests, but I don't reduce the syrup by half as suggested by Cariadoc.
>(Someone said they've had sekanjibin syrup go bad, but I think if you make
>the syrup thick enough (reduce by at least 1/3) and keep it in a tightly
>closed bottle, it will not need refrigeration.

Pardon my delay in responding to this. I know I'll get more e-mail as
my storm and flood of delayed messages come through (we had a
computer glitch here, oddly, and my mail for the last week is
flooding in)...

I've had sekanjabin in my cupboard for roughly 8 years now
and it has never gone bad. Why, may you ask, do I still have
8-year-old syrup? Because my lovely husband decided at one
point in the past that we needed A LOT of it, and we ended up
making it with close to period sugar, and home-grown or
wildcrafted mint, and *poof* we had TONS of bottles of the
syrup. Jadwiga's right. IF you do it right, the stuff will darn
near last forever.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com