HERB - citing, ahem, newage mater ials in handouts...

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon May 8 21:31:37 PDT 2000

When Daddy began making home-brewed beer (in the early 70's as I recall),
he claimed to have looked into the laws involved.  He said that a head of
household could make up to some quantity of beer and/or wine and *up to 1
gallon of distilled liquor* per year per adult of drinking age in the
household.  Now he did not tell me the source of his information, and at
the time I did not care.  But he was usually pretty cautious about things
like that, very careful to stay within the law, and he planned on
distilling some of his wine, though he never did.  I don't think those
laws get changed much, so I wonder if he was correct in what he said.
Also, this was in Arkansas, which might be different (no Arkansas jokes,
now) but I thought he said that was the Federal law.  How could we find
out for sure?  One gallon would be more than enough for an A&S
project.....

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)

On Mon, 8 May 2000 14:00:59 -0500  "Knaus, Robert F."
<robert.knaus at unisys.com> writes:
...snip...
>In most of the US (and here in Texas to be sure) both are regulated.
>Brewing is allowed for home manufacture as long as it is not sold, and
only
>limited quantities are made (presumably for home use).  Distillation,
being
>by nature a more dangerous process - both in the methods and in the
products
>- is verboten without a license.  Brewing licenses are fairly expensive.
 Distilling licenses are prohibitively so.
>There are several breweries and wineries in Texas, there has been
exactly
>one (1) distillery - and that within the last year.  Since Texas has had
these same laws (or variations upon) for quite some