HERB - citing, ahem, newage mater ials in handouts...

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Mon May 8 22:25:13 PDT 2000

The laws on distillation did manage to get changed, unfortunately, or
fortunately.  And one of the things I discovered was that the current law
also covers freeze-distillation!  So don't leave that wine in the freezer
too long to cool, or the ATF folks may come a beating through your door!

YIS
Rauthulfr

At 11:31 PM 5/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>When Daddy began making home-brewed beer (in the early 70's as I recall),
>he claimed to have looked into the laws involved.  He said that a head of
>household could make up to some quantity of beer and/or wine and *up to 1
>gallon of distilled liquor* per year per adult of drinking age in the
>household.  Now he did not tell me the source of his information, and at
>the time I did not care.  But he was usually pretty cautious about things
>like that, very careful to stay within the law, and he planned on
>distilling some of his wine, though he never did.  I don't think those
>laws get changed much, so I wonder if he was correct in what he said.
>Also, this was in Arkansas, which might be different (no Arkansas jokes,
>now) but I thought he said that was the Federal law.  How could we find
>out for sure?  One gallon would be more than enough for an A&S
>project.....
>
>Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
>TX)
>
>On Mon, 8 May 2000 14:00:59 -0500  "Knaus, Robert F."
><robert.knaus at unisys.com> writes:
>...snip...
> >In most of the US (and here in Texas to be sure) both are regulated.
> >Brewing is allowed for home manufacture as long as it is not sold, and
>only
> >limited quantities are made (presumably for home use).  Distillation,
>being
> >by nature a more dangerous process - both in the methods and in the
>products
> >- is verboten without a license.  Brewing licenses are fairly expensive.
>  Distilling licenses are prohibitively so.
> >There are several breweries and wineries in Texas, there has been
>exactly
> >one (1) distillery - and that within the last year.  Since Texas has had
>these same laws (or variations upon) for quite some
> >time, these numbers indicate that the laws intent has been fulfilled.
> >Distillation (at least legal distillation) has been more or less
>squashed.
> >
> >Al-yesari
> >(darn it, distillation is period for me - my culture did name it!)

RauthulfR Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, mCE, P-eX, Et Cetera)
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....