HERB - witch hazel

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Fri May 19 13:46:50 PDT 2000

Welcome to the list, Ysabeau. Your question is a good one and you
should not feel bad that it is a beginner question. You asked about
your lavender when you wrote:

>I was thinking using it in the witch hazel but I don't know if I use the
>leaves or do I need to wait for flowers?

The answer to your question is "it depends." Throughout
our researched time periods and in varying countries,
several parts of the lavender plant were used depending
on the end result. What is it you wish to accomplish?

I suspect that you are taking your witch hazel and trying
to impart into it the benefits of the lavender essential oil.
If this is the case, the flowers would do you the most good.

If, however, you are looking for *visual* texture in a
witch hazel filled bottle, then you may consider placing
a sprig of the leaves inside. Alternately, you could wait
for the plant to flower and include a whole stalk with the
attached flower buds on it.

Enjoy and please keep asking "beginner" questions. Some
of us need to know the answers to these too, beginner,
journey-level, and laurel alike!

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
iasmin at home.com