HERB - Re: Marigolds and Gillyflowers

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Apr 4 08:29:13 PDT 2001

> I don't believe the "french marigolds" or "african marigolds" (Tagetes spp) are
> period. Anyone know?

Most sources say they are not.

> Gillyflowers, well I think you're probably referring to "Clove Gillofloures" in
> period, or what are commonly known as "Pinks", a type of small carnation, very
> nicely scented.

Note that clove gillyflowers were only introduced to England in the late 1300's or early
1400's. Earlier references to clove gilofre is apparently to clove buds. (What you learn
on the cooks list!) Sometimes you can tell which is meant from the recipe.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."