HERB - WILDPLACES: DON'T BUY PEAT THIS EASTER

Rachel Holliday rachel.holliday at eu.apbiotech.com
Wed Apr 18 07:20:14 PDT 2001

I think that the British Isles in general suffers from a "but that's what
we've always done" attitude.  On the mainland peat use in compost has been
minimal due to public pressure, its a little sad to think that the main
despoiler now isn't even a company supplying the British market.  I hope at
least this has made a few people change to compost, its how it got removed
in the UK.
Nice chatting to you.
Rachel

                    "Christine
                    Seelye-King"               To:     <herbalist at ansteorra.org>
                    <kingstaste at mindspr        cc:
                    ing.com>                   Subject:     RE: HERB - WILDPLACES: DON'T BUY PEAT THIS EASTER
                    Sent by:
                    owner-herbalist at ans
                    teorra.org

                    18/04/01 15:16
                    Please respond to
                    herbalist

Perhaps, but when we were there two years ago, the smell of peat burning
was
absolutely everywhere, along with the smokey haze that accompanies it.  I'm
glad to hear that if they are concerned about the loss of the bogs, they
aren't just going after the gardeners.  I wondered when we were there about
the seeming lack of concern about continuing to dig up the peat and burn
what could not be replaced easily.
Christianna