HERB - WILDPLACES: DON'T BUY PEAT THIS EASTER

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Wed Apr 18 15:03:09 PDT 2001

>As far as I am aware the use of peat as a fuel in Ireland is being phased
>out as they are loosing too much of the bogs themselves, although theirs
>are much larger than our mainland bogs.

I'm fairly certain this isn't true in the US, though, concerning the size
of the peat masses. A great portion of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan
is, to the best of my knowledge, one of the world's largest known peat
bogs, hands down beating anything in Ireland. Now my info could be
really whacked on this, but it's what I remember my university bio
prof, one of the world's foremost peat experts, discussing in class.
It's curious, don't you think? I wonder how much of the peat in the US
actually comes from the US? Anyone with info on this? I've not looked
into it, but Im' curious as to the source.

Iasmin