[Herbalist] wormwood and mug wort

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Tue Aug 28 20:43:53 PDT 2001

A few of things to be aware of:
* Wormwood should not be used internally for any extended period of time
- it can cause bladder cancer and possible nerve damage.  That's long
term, regular usage.
* Wormwood is VERY bitter, mugwort is only a little better.  It takes a
while to get used to the flavor.
* Wormwood being a vermifuge, it can cause diarrhea (doesn't always).
* NEVER use wormwood or mugwort when pregnant - both can cause
miscarriages.  Both have reputations as abortifacients, though neither is
particularly safe so used.  In the books, Ayla may have been using the
tea as a form of contraceptive?  (been a while since I read them)
* I have used wormwood occasionally as a sedative, mostly when other
remedies fail.  The taste puts most people off.  Mugwort is supposed to
bring vivid dreams.

If you are wanting a mild sedative, I recommend any or all of the
following: Chamomile, English primrose (Primula species - not our local
primrose, which is Oneothera), cramp bark (Viburnum opulus, also known as
Guelder rose), passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), scullcap
(Scutellaria species), vervain (Verbena species - the tall ones with the
slender flower spike, not the low-growing ones with the flower head that
looks like lantana).  I usually add rose petals or poppy flowers for
color and psychological effect...  To improve the flavor, you can add
some mint, but don't overdo it.

Wormwood grows in this area (Dallas, TX), as does southernwood and
several other artemisias - I haven't tried mugwort, but would expect it
to do well.  We also have growing in this area passion flower, vervain,
and scullcap, making me think perhaps we need the sedatives to counteract
the stresses of big city living <grin>.

I personally would not group wormwood or mugwort medicinally with some of
the other plants you mention, such as mint, lavander, elder or willow.
Tansy does have some similar effects to wormwood, as a vermifuge and as a
bitter.  Rue is also quite bitter, and has been used to bring on the
menses (though is not particularly safe to use).  Hoarhound is very
bitter, but is used mostly for lung problems.  Always be sure you
research the herbs you are using, preferably in several sources.

Let us know what you come up with.
Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)