[Herbalist] Aloh

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Mon Jul 30 09:08:00 PDT 2001

Sounds like the purple, yucky stuff is normal for an irritated blister.
It could get like that from being covered too tightly, especially if
you've put something wet (i.e. aloe) on it first.  Aloe isn't
anti-fungal, anti-bacterial or anything like that.  By keeping it moist
and covered, you're creating a great breeding ground for nasties.  The
dry skin is normal - that skin will flake off soon enough.  You won't
revitalize it by moistening it.

Now that your blister has broken, aloe can help heal it.  But aloe will
dry out if it's not covered, and keeping it moist and covered is bad as
you've seen.  So, go ahead and put some aloe on it regularly, but don't
expect it to stay wet.  If you really need to moisten it, I'd use a drop
of vitamin E oil.  I wouldn't cover it anymore, unless there is a
specific infection threat (like you're handling raw chicken.)  I usually
only cover a blister on my heel for a short time after I pop it, then
only when I have to wear shoes that will rub on the spot, taking the
bandage off later.  Otherwise, I wear sandals that leave it open.  Keep
it clean - easier to do on a hand than on a foot.  But, let it dry out
so nasties can't breed in there.

-Magdalena