[Herbalist] making infusions

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at mail.frii.com
Mon May 21 22:07:52 PDT 2001

I have been using one of those roaster ovens to make my oil and herb
infusions for years now.

I have a mark that shows me where about 110 degrees F is.  That warms the
oil and releases the different compounds without crisping the herbs.  The
herbs soak and heat for 2 or 3 days for my Fighter Fixer Salve and are
still green at the end of the process.  The olive oil I use is also much
greener at the end.

I strain several time, the first thru a large ss colander to get the big
chunks out, then to finer and finer strainers until all but the dust is out.

When I melt the beeswax in, I try to heat only a small amount of the oil to
above 110 degrees F to melt the wax and then I blend in the rest.  It only
works sometimes when I remember to temper it.

sigh.

I don't infuse in the sun.  Sun increases the free radicals in the oil and
speeds rancidity.

I find that heat and sun are the enemies of oil.  Also check to see how
stable your oil is.  A lot of the fixed oil sellers on the internet have
shelf-life info available.

I never use moist herbs for infusions.  Scarey things happen with water and
oil and time - I can tell you this story about a fresh basil oil I made
about 25 years ago....

Here in Colorado, herbs dry so quickly.  I mostly just bundle up about an
inch diameter of stems in a rubber band and hang on some wire I have strung
in the corner above a desk.  Things dry in a matter of a couple of days.
The hard part is finding the time to process the herbs leaf from the stem.

I harvested a big batch of hearts ease today.  That is always so hard to
do, but it is one of those herbs that I can't buy more of if I run out.

YMMV,
Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.
Then, it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their
weapons."
~ Cheyenne Proverb