[Herbalist] burns part 01

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Tue May 22 12:28:12 PDT 2001

>Iasmine, if you could mail me privately with any advice, I would appreciate
>that as well.

So far, I think everyone's advice has been pretty good. I toyed with the idea
of sending you private email about this, but in all honesty, I think
it might be
a good idea to discuss some of this out in the open so people can learn some
more.

First, let's think of first aid. Is is a minor or a serious burn? You said it
blistered immediately and hurt like the dickens. That's a second degree
burn. There are some pretty standard first aid guidelines available that
should help you judge the severity of your burn and when you should seek
medical treatment. I urge everyone to check them out sometime, but in
summary, there are three levels of burns, listed by degree. A first
degree burn is one that may cause the skin to redden, but typically only
affects the outer layer.

When a burn develops blisters or turns the skin
white, it advances to a second degree burn. The damage to the skin has
penetrated additional layers and usually needs treatment. Third degree burns
damage deep into the skin and typically damage nerve endings as well. Because
of the nerve damage, third degree burns often do not hurt because the nerves
are no longer capable of sending the pain signals to your brain.

Almost all professionals will agree that third degree burns are medical
emergencies and require immediate attention. Any second degree burn
that is larger in area than the size of an American quarter should also
receive medical attention. First degree burns and second degree burns
with an area of damage smaller than a quarter often do not require
medical attention, but do require that you watch them.

Keep it very close to your mind that burns of any degree can cause shock
to a person. Always watch for this. Additionally, any burn to the mouth,
face, eyes, airways, hands, or genitalia should receive medical attention.
But there are some other guidelines that hospitals usually follow as well
that may be useful. You should take a person to the hospital or first response
center for these circumstances:

-- Any burn that causes blisters or makes the skin turn white
-- When oozing or redness persists for more than 24 hours or there is
increasing pain
-- All electrical burns
-- Any burn that covers 10 percent or more of your body
-- Any burn that completely encircles a leg or arm

I'll send some more information real soon. But I have to finish some
work on the
Pennsic Castle Website first (hint hint:  http://members.home.com/kmunenori
if anyone is interested; the updates to this past week's work should
be there by
this evening).

Iasmin