[Herbalist] Stoppers

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed May 30 11:14:27 PDT 2001

> Many bottles were stoppered with rolls of leather, hardened with beeswax.
> These rolls were then tied or sewn to keep their shape, and stuffed into the
> neck of the bottles, blackjacks, wineskins, etc.
> Christianna
> who has a very talented protege who has been making really cool leather
> bottles recently...

A nineteenth century jar closure technique which I just learned this weekend (and which
may or may not be period) is to stretch a cleaned, moist piece of pig bladder over the
mouth of the container and tie it down. When the bladder dries, it sticks to the glass
and holds tight. When removed, it apparently can be re-moistened and re-used.

(I was at the Genesee Country Museum http://www.gcv.org/ this weekend)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net