[Herbalist] Ointments, proportions of

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Thu Oct 4 21:19:18 PDT 2001

I use one part beeswax to 5 parts of oil for my salve.  This makes a
slightly soft ointment.  If you have hot summers (like we do in
Ansteorra) or like it a little stiffer, try 4 parts oil to 1 part wax.

I measure this the way mother taught me to measure shortening in water.
Put the oin in a measuring cup - say 5 ounces of oil - then add beeswax
(and cocoa butter and coconut oil if you like) till the level of oil
comes up to 6 ounces (or 6 1/2).  You then have 1 ounce of wax - by
volume - along with the oil.

I have noticed something odd about the salve - after it is poured up and
set, it seems to be a bit too stiff.  I poke my finger into it and get up
a small glob, and this seems to soften it up a bit.  Almost like the
beeswax forms a sort of crust that has to be broken to get the
consistency right...

hope this helps
Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)