[Herbalist] Ointments, proportions of

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Fri Oct 5 21:43:16 PDT 2001

>That works pretty well for me.   I'd think that an ointment would need less
>wax and/or solid oils...

It depends on the type of ointment you're making and what your
intended purpose is, I would say. In general, I agree with you,
though. I like my ointments a little more oily than most people, but
in all honesty, the vast majority of my ointments are made to
penetrate the skin or soften it to some extend. To be easily smoothed
on the skin.

If you want something to stay *on* the skin rather than absorb, you
might want to up the wax a little. Also, if you are going to be in
hotter climes, take a lesson from chocolate manufacturers and up the
wax content. Your ointments will stay solid longer and not get all
over the inside of your husband's armour bag and armour, causing all
the other fighters to snicker and tell him he smells pretty (not that
I'm speaking from experience or anything here. *grin*).

Iasmin