[Herbalist] Herbal Remedy Help?

tonia burk toniaburk at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 19:57:22 PST 2002

You might give the following suggestions to your friend (from "The
Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants").

I would try a small amount first in an unaffected area and watch it for 24
hrs to make sure you won't have a reaction and make the problem worse.
Also, try not to scratch...this can cause scarring and infection, and it's
best not to try the following treatments on an open wound.

Essential oils:
dab 1 drop of neat tea tree or clove essential oil on the affected area
twice a day.

Garlic:
Just as Katherine described!

Ointments or creams:
Apply ointment or cream of calendula or comfrey to affected area twice a
day. (these should be available at your local health food/herb shop)

Lemon:
Dab pure lemon juice onto the area, or dilute 1 tsp of lemon juice with 1
tbsp water and use as a skin wash twice a day.

Herbal paste:
Mix 1 level tsp of slippery elm powder with sufficient calendula, myrrh, or
echinacea tincture to make a thick smooth paste.  Place on and around the
boil, and bandage securely.  Remove after 1-2 hours.

I also found internet references to applying peppermint oil and castor oil
topically.

Best of luck with it.

Randalin in Kyrra