[Herbalist] Rose Beads

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Fri Jul 12 22:34:27 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una 'nyen Dougal" <una_ingen_dhoubhghail at yahoo.com>

> "Rose beads:
> ...you will need a lot of petals... about a half
> bushel-and considerable patience. It takes several
> weeks to prepare a paste from the rose petals,then
> several more to dry the beads formed of the paste.

Weeks???   Nah.   The recipie that I found (_Rose Receipts from olden times_
or something like that) calls for tearing up the rose petals, putting them
in an iron pot, covering them with water and simmer for 1 hour, stirring
occaisionally, and adding water as needed to prevent scorching.   Let sit
for a day.   Repeat for 3 days (I found that a week works better), until you
have a paste, then form that into the beads, string them, and move them on
the string several times a day until they dry.   If mold forms on the beads,
just press it down.   When dry, the beads may be coated with a light oil to
help protect them.
I made some about 10 years ago, and they still smell nice....
Hang some in your car for a car freshner.   Wear them against your skin, and
your body heat will bring out the smell...

Melandra