[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

Wes Will wwill at globaleyes.net
Wed Jul 24 20:43:25 PDT 2002

At 10:16 AM 7/24/02 -0400, you wrote:
>call your local extension office for advice.  You can also look in the

CAVEAT:

After spending almost 2 years fighting/wrangling/talking/railing
against/becoming completely disgusted with the U.S.D.A. and all of the
Extension organizations here in Southern Illinois regarding non-chemical,
non-agri-big-biz options, my advice is to be very chary of anything
governmental.

The Extension _can_ be helpful, but that seriously depends upon who sits
across the desk from you.  I tried for many months to get help starting an
organic (non-chemically-based) co-operative and farm here in the south end
of Sillynoise, and got absolutely nowhere, fast.  At least here, the
extension and USDA people won't even consider trying to work with the land
instead of just spraying on some more goop.  I have been branded (and this
is an exact quote!) "one of those tree-huggin' commie fags they warned me
about".  The subject was biological pest controls, and my stated position
was that I didn't think pesticides should be the first option when dealing
with squash vine borers.

Do certainly look into whatever options exist, but don't expect a lot of
support from the state and federal government if you don't want to support
the oil sheiks and the Monsanto/DuPont crowd.

--
Eoin Caimbeul