[Herbalist] minty water

Wes Will wwill at globaleyes.net
Wed Jun 12 18:22:35 PDT 2002

>been planning to do one 5 gallon water jug of minty/minted water. How much
>mint would this generally require?

For a 5-gallon (20 +/- litre) jug, I would use at least 2 cups fresh,
slightly bruised or crushed mint leaves.  Put them in a small bag or a
square of clean cheesecloth or muslin to keep the green bits from floating
off into someone's cup.  Pour the water through them when filling the jug,
or stir it around some to get the mint extractives spread around evenly.

We make a very light citrus-mint drink that is I suppose a form of
sekanjabin, using mint, the juice of 2 oranges, and the juice of 6 large or
8 small lemons (instead of vinegar).  Make a sugar syrup with a cup of
honey or sugar, and a cup and a half of water.  Boil the water and
sweetener for a few minutes and then pour the hot liquid over the mint
leaves (2 heaping cups fresh leaves, a cup to a cup and a half of dried).
Let this stand until cooled, strain, and add the citrus juices.  Dilute
with cold water to make 10 liters (2.5 gallons or so), or you can
refrigerate the thick syrup and make it up by the glass or pitcher as
needed.  Use less or no sugar, and (or) substitute a light-flavoured honey.

--
Eoin Caimbeul