[Herbalist] Herbal largess ideas sought!

Kathleen H. Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Mon Oct 28 05:45:39 PST 2002

Greetings

I am wanting to put together some nice, easy, inexpensive, and fun herbal
based largess for the upcoming Gifting Season from our Barony. <>
Leonora

  My Crown has asked for largesse authentic to England, early 1100's.   My
herbal response--inspiration last night--is to make sachets to go in stored
clothes, probably some sweet-smelling and some anti-bug.
  I could be a great hit with something to go in an armor bag and improve the
smell.  Does anyone have a recipe strong enough?

You might consider pomanders, Leonora.  One of the herbal magazines long ago
described buying tea balls, filling them and decorating them.  Then they are
refillable.

Chaplets (crowns, wreaths), whether flowers or foliage, were wildly popular for
men and women of all classes throughout the second half of period (Goody, the
Culture of Flowers).  It lists giving a chaplet of roses to one's superior as
part of feudal obligation...I've always wanted to do that to a King.  Hmm, and
now I have a Norman king...too bad the frost took out all my tender annuals
over the weekend and should get  the roses by the end of this week.

Cheers
Agnes
Mag Mor, Calontir