LR - Lughnasad

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Tue Aug 15 14:39:05 PDT 2000

It is Tuesday, and I am still riding high on how well Lughnasad went.  As Seneschal of the Canton of Loch Ruadh, I am extremely proud (pardonably, I think) of my Canton, and grateful to all of our good friends who made our first Calendar event in six years a wonderful success by attending, participating, and jumping in to help out in any way they could.  The heat of the day could not diminish the spirit and enthusiasm that was present everywhere at the event.

My special thanks to Galen and Allesandre, Baron and Baroness of Elfsea and Lord and Lady Loch Ruadh, for being in attendance all weekend, being involved in everything going on, and adding so much to the splendor and ambience of the event.

Heartfelt thanks also to all our friends who took up tasks to ensure that everything worked when we had to move to “Plan B” (and in at least one case, all the way to “Plan X”).

My thanks to Lord Llew Maillin and Centurian Airaklee Wolf for the entertainment they provided with their “chicken fight”.  I discovered that it is extremely difficult to marshal a serious list when there is a Florentine chicken fight going on in the list field next door.  Perhaps in the future we will need to sponsor a “Chicken Pit” (or should that be a “Chicken Coop”) list.

Blessings on Antigonus and Elanor, who put together the Children’s Bardic Competition literally overnight, and did it so well that six months of prior planning could not have made it better.  The children who competed had a wonderful time, and all of the adults who gathered to listen enjoyed themselves thoroughly as well.

The Water Ball Melee was amazing.  I told the children that the adult marshals were fair game, and I’m not sure which they enjoyed more, soaking each other, or soaking us.  As hot as it was, getting smacked with a water ball was very welcome!  We refilled the water buckets three times, and let the two teams (which sorted out into girls versus boys) throw until some of them were showing signs of getting tired.  It must have been long enough, as there was very little complaint that it didn’t continue longer.  Each of the children got to take home two of the water balls as a prize, and a fine time was had by all.

To the Populace of the Canton of Loch Ruadh, VIVAT!  I have often said that Loch Ruadh can do anything, and once again you have risen to the challenge and proven me right.  I am proud to be your Seneschal, and prouder still to be part of Loch Ruadh.

Life is good in Elfsea, and it shows in Loch Ruadh!

In Service,
Padraig Ruad O’Maolagain
Seneschal of the Canton of Loch Ruadh