[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History June 5

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 4 20:40:44 PDT 2002

Born:
0468BC: Socrates, Greek philosopher (one suggested date)

Deaths:
221 -BC- Chu Yuan China's poet drowns
0709: Boniface and his party are murdered by German heathens
0754: Death of Abul'-Abbas, Caliph of Bagdad
1316: Death of Louis X, King of France
1568: Egmont and Hoorne beheaded at Brussels, with 18 other patriots

Other Events:
1191: Richard I of England sets sail for Acre
1249: The Seventh Crusade captures Daimetta
1291: Bruce, Baliol, and seven others acknowledge Edward I of England as
sovereign over Scotland
1455: Poet Franáois Villon kills a priest in a brawl, is banished from Paris
1510: Michelangelo commissioned to make 15 statues of saints for the Duomo
of Siena, Italy
1568: 10,000 Spanishunder Ferdinand, the Duke of Alba, crushes the Calvinist
insurrection in Ghent.
1595: Henry IV's army defeats the Spanish at the Battle of
Fontaine-Francaise.

---