[Loch-soilleir] RE: Loch-solleir Q and A

Kathy Cofrin kcofrin at flash.net
Fri Apr 2 06:59:17 PST 2004

Looks like it is Gaelic, even though we were told it was French.  Well, I'm sure we have more Gaelic personas than French anyway.

phillip <phillipmj at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>From my daughter's French-English dictionary:
Clear - (transparent) clair, limpide
Lake - lac

>From my Gaelic (Irish) dictionary:
Clear - (adj) glan, (of speech) soileir (e has an accent)
Lake - loch

So Loch Soileir means "clear-speaking lake".  Whoops!

soilleir
clear, visible, Irish soilléir: from so- and léir. The ll is due to the analogy of soillse.

soilleir
a. clear, bright, transparent, limpid, evident, visible

here's from two different online gaelic dictionaries.  they both have the double L in soilleir.
does anyone know how many variations there are to gaelic?

have to admit, i had to look up limpid.  and it's english.