Fw: [Loch-soilleir] Populous Meetings

Baronman@aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 05:56:25 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/13/04 10:01:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
lessa at houston.rr.com writes:

> Bors,
>
> You want to try to respond to this one?
>
> Lessa

Well- let me try to remember- HUMMMMM???  OK - this is the best input I
remember.   Back when I was Baron and my wife was Baroness and I was working retail
and my wife was a cardiac care nurse working nights, it seems that Tuesday
nights was the only night that we both had off  in conjunction with the
seneschal.  SOOOO it seemed the best night to hold populace meetings since we all
could be there to argue- HUH- I mean discuss the running of the Barony.  This
night seemed to work as well for Codi and Leofric- so thus a tradition was born.
It was only after many years that the declining numbers of fighters showing up
to the Sunday fighter practice - BTW as result of one of the local super
Dukes policy of not wanting his Loch  and Stargate students to participate in the
local practices so they don't pick up any bad habits - that the two Baronies
combine their practices.  A policy that was not supported by me, but then,  I
wasn't asked.  Why Tuesday was picked for the practice night was a decision
that I was not privy to, so I cannot answer that part.

And while I am on the soap box here is  my two cents worth - I think that
combined practice is a good thing.  We have done it before.  When I was Baron,
both Baronies held a Sunday practice.  Ours was in Randolph park and Stargate in
Memorial park.  We tried to have a combined practice once a month. One month
in our location, the next month at theirs. This was a perfect PR opportunity
to recruit new members.  Then we started relying on the Renn Fair to get
interest in new memberships.  I was one of the few that felt that it was foolish to
rely solely on this type of recruitment.  Now that we don't have the Renn
faire any more- we had better find another way to recruit- perhaps going back to
the old ways.
At the present location- the only people who might see the SCA fighter
practice are U of H students who happen to be walking past the practice and can see
in the dark. BTW- when was the last time a tournament was held in the dark?
This might be good for  Stargate but really doesn't benefit the Loch.  Glad to
see the Sunday practice returning- had two new men and one lovely lady armor
up at the last  Sunday practice.  What we need are the established fighter
start showing up.  Galen- Alexis - Ruric -where are you?  The squires of the
Loch- where are you?  I have brought rapier gear to the last two practices and had
no one to play with- are there no rapier fighters in the Loch any more?
OK- I'm done and I'm tired- going to bed- had to much of the debates tonight.
Bors