[Namron] Travel report from Meridies/Gleann Abhann

G. Gibeson gurhal at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:42:18 PDT 2004

No, I am saying all the Meridians I have encountered at fighter practice,
think our whole kingdom is full of Rhinos.

Here is why:

Since standards for a good blow often vary kingdom to kingdom (even region
to region).  Logically the closer the distance the closer the standards.

For example, the practice in Namron should be pretty comparable to the
Skarguard practice.  In my experience going to both these practices, the
average fighter in the average fight will be calling blows in about the same
spectrum of force.

These fighters have trained and fought together in some cases for years even
decades.  Therefore, it is no surprise they call blows about the same.

When everyone is on the same standard, calling and throwing shots at about
the same range of force.  Fights should be fair and, no single person would
stand out as a rhino as long as they are calling and throwing in the same
local range of force.

When you go to a different kingdom the differences are more pronounced, and
the fighters have their own local standards for blow calling.  These
standards, just like ours, have been passed along and reinforced by the
local fighters training and fighting together for years.

Now to define a Rhino-hider:
A person that will only call blows of a force harder than what would be
normally acceptable, thus making themselves in effect harder to "kill" than
the opponent who is calling at a lower degree of force.  Such a person is
not playing fair, they are cheating, and will be labeled as a Rhino and
treated accordingly.

On the other end of the spectrum:
If a person calls blows with very little force behind them it is not really
an issue because they are giving themselves a handicap by making themselves
easier to "kill".

Now if you consider the standard for calling a blow in Meridies which, as I
have mentioned, is very light by Ansteorrian standards.

What kind of reputation do you think the hard hitting, hard calling
Ansteorrians have in other kingdoms in which the standard is toward lighter
blow calling?

You can guess how they treated me at my first practice here when I said I
was from Ansteorra.  Lets just say opinions here are not very favorable
toward Ansteorrian blow calling.

Sorry for the confusion,

Gavin