[Namron] Re: Hosp. Comments

R. Welch rose_welch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 21:31:58 PST 2004

You know, I'd love to see the list go three months w/o a fight.

Someone expressed  displeasue with others' actions. Others expressed displeasure with their displeasure. And even more others expressed their justification of said displeasing actions and displeasure. Some are combinations of those. Hopefully, since we've all expressed our displeasure with a few of the things that we can't really change (i.e., others opinions, actions, and how they express them), we can move on and focus on what we can do personally to rectify what we see as a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anyone's boss and I certainly don't have the right (nor the want) to censor anyone, but it would just be really nice if we could all go three months w/o fighting on the list.

On the other hand, if it's gotta be hashed out on the list, so be it... I'll just deal with what I don't like since this is a public list...

Greetings,

With all due respect, Michael, I believe Hatur is simply responding to the
insult launched at Namron in general and Skaargard in particular. I believe
Salerna's post started:
>>Rose, we are working on this "catalogue" of which you speak, however it is
being met with laziness, forgetfulness, or down-right apathy in that, on the

>>skarrgard end after soliciting both namron and skarrgard, i have only
received about 4 responses for it....

I'm rather disappointed that every person who did not drop what they were
doing and sign up to be a certified mentor is being branded in this
fashion...and that brand is quite false. I am one of those "people in the
barony...who must've done something right to have all these beautiful
awards...." Frankly, I don't see the need to establish some NEW regimental
program or organization to license and recognize people for what they
already do. Instead, I would expect the Hospitaller to come to know what's
going on in their group which is related to their job...and let the other
officers perform their duties as well, i.e., A&S, Herald, Marshal, and so
on.

I'm not opposed to mentoring but comments such as:
>>I am sure when others see you doing it [participating in the mentoring
program], they will think "hey this isnt so hard, why didn't I volunteer as
>>well? oh, wait, I've already got my awards and word fame so i don't need
to earn anything anymore...."

Those words were just downright insulting...it was an insult to every person
with an award...and the basis for the insult was that people did not
volunteer for the mentoring program. Personally, I know of many people in
the Barony who have worked to help folks feel more at ease in the SCA. From
time to time, we need to remember to work a little harder for the
newcomers--you normally only get one chance. But this proposed program is
not a panacea, and individuals in the SCA will volunteer as they see
fit--and when they see fit.

In closing, I would add a few comments (and step off my soapbox):
To everyone, treat our newcomers with love and respect--we were all
there once;
To folks who have time and energy and specific interest, be a
mentor--the Hospitallers are calling;
To Salerna, look a little closer next time--insults are not soon
forgotten;
To folks who are already mentors, Huzzah!

Regards,
Tadhg