[Namron] Re: Scathach

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Thu May 19 13:30:24 PDT 2005

Okay, the book is...
"Irish names" by Donnchadh O' Corrain and Fidelma Maguire, Lilliput
Press, Dublin, 1990. Amazon should have the ISBN if you need it.
SCA Laurel at Arms highly recommends this source. They also advise
caution concerning one thing about this book that pertains to our
recent exchange. This book is a study of names, so it includes names of
certain mythical figures that heralds would not accept as accurate for
usage. Luckily, this book will readily tell you if a name had usage
beyond the reference to a goddess or hero or monster. Fionn is a good
example, a hero whose name was used by many. This book gives those
sorts of details.
I hope you aren't too disappointed about Scathach. I had no idea if her
name was ever used like Fionn or not.
Inter-library loan could get this book in your hands within a week or
two if Tadgh doesn't have it handy.

~Finnacan Dub (pronounced Finnegan Duff)