[Namron] Guild of Camillus de Lellis

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 08:05:05 PDT 2005

The Guild of Camillus de Lellis has its begining in
the Kingdom of Caid.  We are working toward an
inter-kingdom Guild which would involve all kingdoms
(it currently has members from Canada and Australia as
well as the US).  The terminology used (at the moment
at least) by the Guild was that the person
coordinating for a kingdom would be called  Guild
Master/Mistress for the kingdom.  With the information
I have been given, I am going back to the guild and
seeing if we need to change that.  Each group inside
the kingdom would have a barony/canton/shire House
Master/Mistress to share the Guild with their area.

We are still working on the charter, but at the moment
the purpose of the guild is as follows:

This is a "social" guild to Support and Educate those
in the SCA with chronic illness / pain syndromes,
their loved ones, and the general populace.

Goals: The goals for the Guild at the time of
chartering shall be:
1.	To facilitate communication between guild members
for education and support.
2.	To support one another with regards to management
of chronic illnesses to further enhance participation
in SCA events..
3.	To educate others about chronic illness and its
management to maximize the potential of the
participation SCA members.
4.	To manage and maintain an Inter-kingdom electronic
mailing list for guild members, and their loved ones.

5.	To encourage research of Medieval and Renaissance
devices, objects, and methods to camouflage modern
medical devices to fit into the SCA theme

Like any other house or guild, NO ONE is obligated to
become a member.  The guild is open to those who have
chronic illness/pain, those who are caregivers, and
those who want to know more about how to help.

The most recent notice I received about kingdom A&S is
that there will be a category for camouglaging mundane
items.  If you notice goal #5, that is one of the
purposes of the guild.

IT IS NOT our intention to draw attention to people
and say, "Look, look! So and so has a disability,
affliction, handicap, disorder, whatever.  It is our
intention to find out from those who know best (those
who live with their illness/pain) how to best assist
in the playing of the game w/o drawing specific
attention to them.  How do YOU as a specific
individual with your "affliction" want the rest of us
to help you be able to play the game to the fullest
extent that you want to?  The idea is to provide
education and support.  It doesn't have to be done
with a herald announcing to everyone that it was done.

Some specific examples of things I have personally
participated in that have made things more fun or have
supported others.
1) Someone who was in great pain needed a painkiller.
I happened to carry a small pill box and was able to
provide that.
2) I was in a wheelchair after my hip injury.  At
King's College when I was wearing out after pushing
myself quite a distance to go to the historical
library, a gentleman asked if I would accept his
assistance.  I was grateful.
3) When I was in the wheelchair, Abdul "stole" me and
took me for a spin around the halls at King's College.
 I laughed for the first time in weeks.  It was
delightful.

These are examples of how the members of the guild
want to help each other.  In none of those instances
was anyone embarassed, was their affliction pointed
out, or were they considered "less than" for ANY
reason.  I could give other examples, but won't w/o
the permission of the people involved because it would
be in very bad taste for me to do so.

So, I guess it boils down to:  If you feel you would
gain something by participating in this guild, you are
welcome.  If you feel you don't need it, that's fine
too.  Membership in this guild is strictly voluntary.

Isobel de Kirkbryde
Deputy Hospitaler, Barony of Namron
Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis