[Namron] Blackberries and the future

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed May 17 06:04:51 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 07:48:38PM -0500, scott melton wrote:
> hello pooky,
>           so far i got myself and 3 others, ill be taking a trip out to the
> land in about 2 weeks to check and see how they are coming. If we get a
> decent crop i think there should be enough for 8 people to all get a good
> amount. I know of a least 3 areas on the land that have good plants, i have
> not been on all the property when i go hunting so there may be more, ive
> never wanted to put my scent down in to many paths because of the deer, but
> being off season it wont matter, and ill explore.

At least in _this_ area we're not likely to find a bear working the
patch with us. Down in Little Dixie, yes, but less likely here.

Years back, when dirt was still in beta test, my brother Bill and I
were picking blackberries on Uncle Chet's farm in upstate New York.

The patch looked like this:

A   +----------------------------------------------+  D
    |                                              |
    |                                              |
    |                                              |
    |                                              |
    |                                              |
    |                                              |
B   +----------------------------------------------+   C

and Bill and I started midway between B and C. I worked towards C,
and Bill worked towards B. When Bill got to B, so did a bear that
had been working from A to B. Bill stood up, raised his arms, and
screamed "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" The bear stood up, raised _its_ arms, and
said "Whoof!" as loud as it could, and they both turned and ran.

That was the same summer I found a flintlock musket in one of Uncle
Chet's pastures. It must have been from the French and Indian Wars,
as I'm told the Revolutionary War never really got to that part of New
York.

Bill was ... maybe 7, and I was not-quite-9. I'll be 60 this August.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO