[Namron] Update on Andreas

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Nov 1 11:54:30 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 01:17:11PM -0600, Lord Pooky wrote:

:  Good Barony of Wiesenfeuer I'm not sure if you've heard the message
: I'm responding to.(provided at bottom)
:
:    Lady Samarah Basimah Latifa al Dhakira bint Anaan bint Mellilah
: what do you know about getting books on tape?
:
:    I hear often on my dragon's magic human voice communicator, being
:    NPR 106.3 Namron or 105.7 East Wiesenfeuer that there are "Tomes
:    on tape". They are available for people who have trouble reading
:    (seeing or flipping pages).
:
:    Do you have any contact info about tomes on tape? It sounds as
:    though he will need headphones to compete with the roommates
:    noise.
:
:    If anyone has a TV? Andreas could borrow I have a Pooky sized
:    programmable remote 1 foot by 5 inches. That'd make pushing
:    buttons easier.
:
:    Guild of St Camillus
:
:    What do we know about organizations who are itching to supply
: people with page flipping devices?
:
:    Lemmee know and I'll start shaving the degrees of seperation.
:
:    Rephrase:
:
:    I'll compile the responses and help find the way.
:
:    Pooky

Right up my alley.

It's the Library of Congress Talking Books program, administered by
the Oklahoma State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
(OLBPH), in Oklahoma City, about 200 yards south of me at the moment,
at 300 NE 18th Street. Their phone number is 521-3514.

The usual procedure is that the person wanting Talking Books has a
physician complete and submit a form saying that the person is
eligible, and why. The OLBPH will be able to tell you all about this,
and chances are good that Andreas' doctor already knows about it.

The OLBPH supplies *everything*: tape (or possibly CD) machine,
tapes and/or CDs, headphones, pillow speakers. When something
breaks, it'll be replaced or repaired free. All that's necessary is
for his doc to get the form in. Folks can even go by and pick up books
for him, once he's ordered them, and/or take the order forms in for
him. They're good folks, and do good things.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO