[Namron] Wiesenfeuer Baronial's feast!

Karla Norris melisandedf at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 06:10:23 PDT 2009

This is a dilemma.  I have even written an article, that should be out in the Black Star A&S edition, called Feast or Famine about this very topic.  It is tough and a topic of discussion in many a kingdom.  I think we need to do more work as cooks to let folks know what is out there, is period, and is palatable.  However, I am usually content with "periodish"....something that is not blatantly modern....like BBQ.  Kinda like the 5 foot rule for garb.  On the other hand, anything we can do to increase our knowledge and the overall ambiance of our dream is what we should strive for....a dilemma!

I know, I know, please do not tell the King and Queen and the Laurels Circle, they will strip me of my Laurel before it even gets placed on my head!

Northkeep has/had a cool tradition.  They had a potluck once a month, where folks brought period dishes to a meeting to share.  Maybe we could start something like that in conjunction with a fighter practice.  It shows folks that lots of food we never thought of is period....like grilled cheese and lasagne (with white sauce, not tomato sauce).

I know Tadgh does the cook's guild on every other Sunday too....here is a good chance to promote that.  They cook and share research on period dishes.  There is so much more out there now than there was 15 years ago when I served my first feast...which included smoked turkey by the way:)

Mel