[Namron] Statement from the Kingdom Rapier Marshal

Seneschal of Namron seneschal at namron.ansteorra.org
Wed Jun 3 05:21:19 PDT 2020

This message was posted on Facebook by the Kingdom Rapier Marshal. Reminder
that plans and timelines for the reopening of Marshallate activities have
not yet been announced.

Kolfinna, Seneschal

"Greetings,

It is with a heavy heart, but firm resolve, that I write the following.

I have expressed in correspondence with the Earl Marshal, the Kingdom
Seneschal, and the Crown, that I am not in agreement with re-opening
marshal activities at this time. I do not believe it is safe, and I do not
believe the policy as written will protect our fighters, nor the
communities our fighters live in.

I was ordered by the Earl Marshal to publicly support this policy. I
cannot, in good conscience, do so. I believe the policy risks the lives of
our participants, their families, and people in the community outside the
SCA.  I also cannot in good conscience ask Master Etienne to have to make
the same choice, and so therefore I cannot ethically resign my post. If I
am removed from my post, I will avail myself of whatever appeal process I
have access to with the society at large.

I believe we have an ethical obligation to protect the community around us,
as a non-profit educational organization. If this disease only affected
people who consented to the risk, I may feel differently. That is not the
case. There are too many people out there far too vulnerable to this
disease for us to not be overly cautious with their lives. The first oath I
took as a White Scarf was an oath to shield the weak, and I intend to keep
it.

Tonight I sent a letter of appeal to the Society Earl Marshal.

It is the policy of *this* office until either I am removed from office or
all options for appeal have been exhausted that there are to be no rapier
or Cut and Thrust practices in the Kingdom.

I know this isn't going to make me a terribly popular person. I also
suspect that my ability to make this policy is likely to be short lived. I
love our crown very much, I respect both Master Pug and Master Avery. I
just think it's too soon. I will not have anyone's death, suffering, or
economic ruin on the soul of this office if I can help it.

Yours,

Master Mateo Montero de Madrid
KRM Ansteorra"