NR - Re: Principality name

Chandranath russ at randomgang.com
Fri Sep 8 13:10:46 PDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 02:43:07PM -0500, Gunhilda Adeleva Amberstar wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Brad Leah is also part of
> our region, but not part of Oklahoma.  If we choose a name
> exclusive to Oklahoma (like sky shield), it sort of leaves them out
> in the cold, so I would discourage going that route.

Yes, and this has weighed heavily on my mind in this discussion.  My first
idea was to rip off "red people" from the name Oklahoma, but that's as
annoying as, say, Lone Star...

However, I maintain that something akin to "red earth" or "red land" is
relevant to all of us, and less suggestive of Oklahoma in particular (to me).
Being difficult as I am, here are some translations (mostly contributed by
friends) of "red land" into languages not a single one of you will want to
use:

Sanskrit - Raktadesha (despite Baroness Maleah's derision :>)
Bengali - Laldesh
German - Rotland, Rot Erde
French - mondiale rouge, terre rouge
Spanish - tierra roja
Italian - terra rossa
Japanese - aka rikuchi

[I take no responsibility for these being wrong, except for the Sanskrit and
Bengali versions, which I looked up on my own.]

Anyway.  Idle thoughts at play...

Chandra

--
Lord Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy