NR - Raffles (legal)

HEGitana at aol.com HEGitana at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 23:45:34 PST 2001

Richard,

Remember that given the choice I would have kept all this off this list.  You
are the legal representative of the SCA in this Kingdom.  What you condone
the SCA, Inc. condones in Texas and Oklahoma.  So here it is, just as plain
as I can say it.

I showed my boss your proposal with the 2000 prizes and then

<>

<<Key word is chance.  There is no chance involved if there are no losers and
everyone receives a prize.>>

The only way there is "no chance" involved is if everyone receives the same
prize and there is no drawing.

I was told that if I or anyone in the group that I play with (and that's a
very large group) was planning to participate in this that I would have to
report it, because it is illegal.
I've done everything in my power to find a legal way for you to do this.  It
cannot be done.  What would you suggest that I do now?  Jeopardize up my job?
 I don't think so.

My concern from the beginning has not been what if we get caught.  My concern
has always been what if it had to be reported, by me or anyone else who
signed a similar document and feel they are honor bound by it.  Once
reported, it doesn't matter whether action is taken on this event or not.
What does matter is that the State of Oklahoma has an extensive file on our
organization which includes accusations of occult activities, trafficing in
children, child molestation, rape and theft.  Must we give them another
reason to give our file a fresh new look?

No one is being asked not to hold their activity; only that they do it in a
way that will not create a problem for the rest of us.

Gitana