[NR] Sir Burk- challenge of peace

Ivo Blackhawk ivo_blackhawk at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 17:38:40 PDT 2001

Sir Burk

I too read Maleah's E-mail, and I would like to say, both you you and others
out here that the use of the word's "combative", "offensive" and the like
are getting a little out of hand Every time I see an e-mail on the list
these days, someone considers it in some way or another, insulting,
offensive, or out of line. Well, guess what, I am going to join in the foray
and say that I think the words are being a little overused and misused.

   The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition.  2000.

combative

SYLLABICATION: com·bat·ive
ADJECTIVE: Eager or disposed to fight; belligerent.

Im sorry, But her comments do not fit that description, and I am a little
upset that her statement was labeled like that. Was it direct, clear and
upfront yes, but I don't hear her calling anyone any names, or hearing her
tearing down the idea piece for piece. She disagrees, and does so strongly,
one of the many reasons that, (like her or hate her) you have to respect
her.

Sir burk, Im not attacking you, please don't see this letter that way, but
your comment in it's opening line is potentially more aggravating than the
entirety of her letter. She said that her barony would help, and she
qualified the statemwnt by saying that she thinks it should be employed
differently. I see nothing combative about her letter. Blunt, yes, but not
combative.

I disagree with people all the time, including the Kings Idea at Gulf Wars 9
to send everyone out the gate. I even told the Kingdome Warlord that the
idea as it was being used was a going to be a blood bath. Then, I put on my
helmet and went off to get beaten about the head by a bunch of surprised
Trimarians. Maleah has the right to say as a point of fact that she
disagrees with something, but the fact that she said in the same sentence
that she was going to do it makes this much the same case as my own
situation. She said her piece, and wants to hear reaction, but in the end
she is willing to 'soldier on' and do what it is her job to do.

Every one out there, all of you, the labels have to stop. "offensive",
"combative" "insulting", all of it. Most of the time, the words aren't even
that accurate the way you use them. People tend to (bye act, or accident)
make it sound like their words are those of the masses. If you are trying
for that, then stop, its not your place to speak for me or anyone else here.
And if you don't mean to sound that way, than please tone down the comments
just a bit, say "in my opinion..", or "I fell..". I think we've all see the
types of reactions that one poorly phrased E-mail can trigger, lets not give
the nit pickers any more ammunition that we have to. And if you alreay do
these thing, and say "in my opinion", that I apologize for taking your time.

Ivo Blackhawk
Member of the Liondragon Guard
Northern Regional Bard
"God Save the Crown of Ansteorra!"