[Northern] hey everbody

cbackus@peakonline.com cbackus at peakonline.com
Mon May 14 16:16:17 PDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001 14:25:53 -0500
 "Maleah" <maleah at mmcable.com> wrote:
> Greetings to the North,
>     I feel that I must address some of the issues
> concerning the gryphon
> symbol.
>
> Yes, I know very well that my husband Master Ulf wrote a
> song about the
> North and a gryphon. It was written during a time that we
> both strongly
> believed in a principality but things since have changed
> drastically to
> alter that belief.
>
> I have been accused of being very opiniated in the past
> so I will now live
> up to that image. Here are my opinions and you can take
> them for what they
> are worth.
>
> There is way too much animosity and factionalism in the
> North right now for
> a principality to live long beyond its inception. I say
> this for many
> reasons which I will happily disucss with any of you if
> you but ask me.

I don't get along with anyone, so I can see what you mean :
)

> Who decided that the Northern Regional Warlord and the
> North would be
> represented by HE Sigen's PERSONAL badge????  I am not
> stating ill intent on
> Sigen's part, I believe that she acts out of her own
> sense of right, but the
> impression is there if only because so many of us have
> NOT been consulted
> about what we would like to see as an emblem for the
> North. If the Northern
> army is going to wear a personal badge then I think they
> all should wear
> butterflies on their tuncis (I am joking here).

You can't register a badge to a group that doesn't exist.
Any symbol would have to be registered to an individual then
released when a new group was formed.

> If a symbol is to truly represent the North and all its
> people then bring it
> out for full discussion, STOP making changes without
> consulting the rest of
> us. STOP the appearance of "it's a done deal so just shut
> up and accept it."
> Again let me say, I DO NOT say this is the motivation,
> but the appearance is
> there with the actions that have taken place to date.
> None of us were
> consulted about colors, charges, or anything else except
> the few that Sigen
> chose to share the idea with.  This is NOT unity, it
> breeds factionalism
> simply BECAUSE it was not done in a public forum. If you
> want a principality
> then you should certainly include us ALL in the decision
> making. Anything
> else is viewed as one small group trying to force feed
> the rest of us with
> their own wishes and does nothing but foster enmity. Let
> me say one more
> time, I am NOT accusing Sigen of anything, I am pointing
> out the appearance
> that has come about surrounding the entire situation.

I don't think there is any forum where we can discuss a
badge with absolutely everyone.  Not everybody owns a
computer.  Not everybody even hits many events.  How could
we come up with devices to discuss?  Someone has to take the
lead and propose something before it can be talked about.

> If there is going to be something done towards a badge or
> anything else to
> do with a principality then EVERYONE needs to be
> consulted. The hearaldry
> for the North should go through the Nordsteorra herald,
> the logical office
> to handle such. I know when and where and how long ago
> the gryphon symbol
> was drawn up. I still disagree that it has been in common
> use by the North
> for many years. The first real public use was on the
> banner given to the NR
> Warlord last month and the tabard worn by Owen ap Aeddan
> last month. One
> song, one banner and one tabard do not constitute common
> usage, no matter
> how nice the song.
>
> The results of the polling were ambiguous at best since
> less than half of
> our paid membership responded. No matter what their
> motivation or lack
> thereof, less than half of the numbers is NOT a good
> representation in ANY
> survey. Yes, Lord Robert, the world is shaped by the
> doers, but never forget
> history. Spartucus and the American and French
> Revolutions are prime
> examples of what decisions taken by the few without
> consent of the many can
> bring about. It's time to take this entire process out
> from under the table
> and place it squarely and openly in front of everyone.

Has it been under the table?  It's been discussed at
multiple events, on this email list, none of which is
private.  Can we never have a "valid" survey unless we have
100% respondents?  So all I have to do to hold up the
process is buy a membership then not respond to a survey?  I
don't think we've had a valid president in awhile by that
criteria.  What percentage of Americans voted in the last
few elections?

> Maleah

Hawkins