[NR] Re: [Northern] Farewell

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Fri May 18 11:15:58 PDT 2001

I am sorry to hear about this.  It *is* hard to think of something appropriate to say, since
this sort of thing can be as great a shock as having someone die  -- particularly when it's
as sudden and unexpected as this seems (at least to me) to have been.

Robert is quite right, though, this is not the time to throw up our hands and quit, or take
to plotting anything rash or silly.  We need to turn back towards each other, and not
turn away.

Most importantly though, we need to offer our sympathy and support to those who have
been hurt most by this action.  Beyond anything else - the crown's reasons for doing this,
whatever they are, are irrelevant.  We don't know them, nor do we need to know them.
The Crown can do this, end of story.  Let's look at the more important goal of looking to
the wounds of those around us.  And I would be surprised if the people who are most hurt
by this aren't Thorgrim and Sigen   This sort of rejection is a bitch at the best of times.
Yes, I realize that it may seem a little odd that *I* would be concerned for their feelings
since we haven't always seen eye to eye - but like the saying goes "only Nixon could go
to China" - and having been through something similar recently I am only too aware of how
easily a hundred nice things people say to you can be trashed by one well placed negative
incident.

We need to let them know that we do care about them, and don't want them to just
quit (although that would be understandable).  They are appreciated, at least by most people
around here.

Marc/Diarmaid