Personality and Behavior (was RE: [Northkeep] Sir Balvins Defence)

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Tue May 28 09:46:51 PDT 2002

Oops, sorry about the wrong attribution (Diarmaid instead of Ainar) of
the original message.

Diarmaid, I don't agree.

Prowess, courage, honesty, loyalty, generosity, faith, courtesy, and
franchise are what are listed as the virtues of those wishing to be
chivalric in the ideal, and are the things I hope to strive for.

None of these things are what is called for "for being an asshole".

You point out that "a lot of people have trouble fitting in with
groups".  That is a true statement.  And indeed, it's good for us as
people to constant recheck our behavior to make sure that we are
generous and courteous people.  That being said, it does not require us
to claim their faults as our own.

I can't remember where I heard this, but I once heard "If a couple of
the players are playing bad, you replace the players.  If all of the
players are playing bad you replace the coach."   If there were hundreds
of people having trouble fitting in to the group, I'd say that the group
needed major fixing.  However, since only a couple of people have
trouble, I'd say its probably the people themselves who need work.

I've known the people in this group to take in many, um, challenging
folks, work with them, help them, and grow them up into good peoples.
Saying to them "You're not nice enough" is not a true of fair statement
in my opinion.  If that's what you're saying, I disagree with your
statements.  If however, you're saying "Hey we should all just do a
quick self-evaluation to make sure that we're being as courteous and
generous as we should.", then I agree with that.

Jean Paul

P.S. As a final note, I must say the phrase "selfishly ignoring others"
just sounds so.....wrong...for lack of a better description

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com
http://www.nomadics.com