[Northkeep] Keigan

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 07:36:45 PDT 2020

Has it really been going on this long? I have been severely remiss in keeping you, our friends, informed.
Ulaghan's funeral was May 28. His wake was June 6. June 9 I took Keigan into the ER, fearing an aneurysm but expecting a low blood sugar crash. That's what it was, but by the time I got her there she was in cardiac arrest, because her potassium levels were through the roof. She was intubated twice, finally took her off on the 16th. After two weeks of the doctors and insurance dithering, they moved her to a convalescence/rehab place July 2. By this time we knew her skin lesions were calciphylaxis. Because of covid restrictions, we could only talk to her through a closed window over a phone. An outdoor window. In Tulsa in July. She had a nurse who had experience with calciphylaxis patients before, who told her she was getting better, according to Keigan. I don't know whether she was lying to her, or Keigan was lying to me. Either way I'm sure it was with the best of intentions, to keep spirits up. But I couldn't see the truth through that damn window.

She was transferred back to the hospital Monday. Her wounds in her legs have spread, are badly infected, and have eaten away most of her left calf and a good part of her right. They are talking about amputating both of them above the knee, possibly as early as today. Her arms also have sores in them, but they are smaller. They are badly swollen and bruised, and are leaking clear liquid. But the surgeons weren't talking about taking them off when we spoke to them last night. They say she can learn to walk again with prosthetics. Privately, I can't help but feel like that is just another lie to keep spirits up.

I don't know how today is going to go. I don't know what the future will be like. But it's coming, like it or not.