PE - RE: Grommet failure

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Thu Feb 10 00:43:41 PST 2000

My wife and I had a dayshade that eventually experienced some grommet
failure, meaning the grommets started pulling out of the fabric...

The primary problem seemed to be "not enough thickness of fabric" for the
grommet to really hold.  We solved the problem by stitching in a triangular
piece of leather everywhere there was a grommet.  We had white leather for
our white canvas, but you could certainly sandwich the leather between
layers of canvas.  We stitched it down with a double row of stitching around
the outside, and then a double row up the center.  (Yes, we know we punched
a hole in the center line of stitching when we set the grommets)

We also punched the holes a *little* small and then "struggled" to get the
grommet in.  The fabric was easy, the leather a little harder.  We found
this resulted in the fabric and leather being VERY tight up inside the
grommet, and more for the grommet to grab.  The grommet also prevented the
center lines of stitching  (we cut with the hole) from coming undone or
wanting to pull out.

We have since used the dayshade at about 20 events a year, and not had any
grommets pull out in the last 4 years (since we fixed them all).

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
Brewer and probably other things I can't think of...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser