PE - Crows Feet

Lyle McMillen l.mcmillen at sct.gu.edu.au
Thu Feb 10 16:23:05 PST 2000

Matthew Mole wrote:

> A knotty problem.
>
> I have just set up my new centre pole pavilion for the first time. There are
> no supporting hoops or wheels. The shape of the tent is supported purely by
> the guy ropes that run through channels in the roof panels and tie off to a
> metal ring at the top of the pole. This is in the form of a King Rene type
> Tent.
>
> Unfortunately this does not create any tension on the roof panels, so I want
> to add crows feet to the guy ropes.
>
> Question 1: How do the crows feet attach to the guy rope? From the various
> illustrations I have seen it is some form of complex knot but there it not
> enough detail to see.

None of my illuminations show the knot in sufficient detail to determine
precisely it is constructed, but I came up with a very simple solution.  Tie a
simple knot in your guy rope where you want the crows foot to start, and tie
your outlying "toes" below this knot.  The upward tension will pull the toes up
against the knot, and tighten it.  The higher the tension, the stronger the
knot.

> Question 2: Is there a particular recommended method of attaching the crows
> feet to the tent to get even tension on the roof?

I have used metal rings (used in chain mail construction), and sewn open an
eyelet through which my rope passed.  They are simply knotted on the other side,
and held up beautifully under stress (I also did away with the guy ropes running
up through the roof without any trouble - helps maintain tension).  All my ropes
ended in these knots, and had no troubles.  They are also very easy to replace
(undo the knot, pull it out, and thread a new rope), and require no special
skills to construct.

> I would prefer an authentic documentable method of achieving this if
> possible.

I'll scan an image of my knots and send it out later today - hope this helps.
Documentation is a little difficult, however.