PE - Crows Feet

Lyle McMillen l.mcmillen at sct.gu.edu.au
Thu Feb 10 17:54:46 PST 2000

Further update:  I'll have to post the image of my crows feet after the weekend
(don't have the picture at work).
With regards to "ring and whipstich" designs for grommets, I have used exactly
this pattern in my C15 pavillion, with about 108 grommets for the tent (90 of
these are for entry points for crow's foot ropes).  It was a lot of work, but
would require a quite catastrophic failure of about 3 layers of 12oz. canvas in
a whole lot of grommets for there to be any effect.  The stress of supporting
the roof out is so well distributed among 90 grommets that no individual is
under any great strain.  While I have no documentary evidence for much of the
techniques I used in the finer points of construction, I worked on the principle
of simplicity (use existing technology, lots of relatively unskilled labour, and
avoid complex solutions where a simple one will do).  A C15 army required
hundreds of pavilions, able to be maintained by the soldiers themselves, and
able to be constructed en masse.  I only needed to make 1 (now 3), and wanted to
do it as simple as possible.

Lyle McMillen