PE - Crows Feet

Samuel Walters agincrt at brightok.net
Thu Feb 10 19:44:08 PST 2000

Greetings M'lord,

One way to attach the crow's feet would be to splice the lines into your
main guy line.  I looked at this and tried it but I am using quarter inch
sisal rope which didn't work very well when splicing three lines in the same
place.  I ended up using a 2" welded ring (from the local hardware store)
wrapped the ropes around this then spliced them back into themselves.  So, I
ended up with attached to the ring, one three foot piece, two four foot
pieces, two five foot pieces, and one fifteen foot piece attached to the
ring, using spliced loops instead of knots.  These individual ropes are
attached to my tent at the tie loops(I'm using square knots at the moment)
attached to my roof section (approx. 45 degree angles) and the long piece is
attached to the stake (using bowline knots until I manufacture some line
tensioners...don't know if those are period).

I don't know if this is a period technique and after my experimentation I
decided I would wait to get better rope before doing the full-on splicing
deal.  But my budget called for sisal at this time.

Hope this lengthy discourse was more helpful than confusing.  If you have
any questions please feel free to ask.  I may be able to explain it better
with a few hours sleep under my belt. Ha ha.

Yours in our Society,

Rhys Goch
Mka Sam Walters