PE - Re: Guy ropes and spokes.

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Tue Feb 22 02:19:00 PST 2000

'Wolf,

	Just because the ropes are NOT there in a painting, and your use of
commons sense doesn't mean that they automatically were there...

	What you say is true, many paintings *may* have left them out to
reduce the clutter.  Other painting, however, are NOT the "entire camp
perspective".   One example of this is the "Dream of Constantine" shown at
http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/pictures/dream.jpg

Pictures from the Froissart chronicles can be seen at
http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/pictures/froissart/

In the Jean Froissart picture of the Battle of Chizé (1373), the artist
shows guy ropes on several of the tents, however the only ropes (that *I*
can see) on the blue tent and the red tent are the high wind ropes.
http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/pictures/froissart/i3_0047.jpg

In the Froissart depiction of the Genoese besieging Mahdia, in Tunisia
(1390), there are clearly NO ropes on the red tent or the yellow tent in the
foreground.  It *looks* like the white tent in the back has ropes, but it is
hard to tell.
http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/pictures/froissart/i3_0080.jpg

It is reasonable to believe that if the artist was willing to take the time
and effort to put guy ropes in the paintings, that it would be done
consistently.  Some, yet NOT ALL, of the tents have ropes displayed.

Just food for thought....

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
Brewer and probably other things I can't think of...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser