TENT - Norst tents

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Fri Jan 14 15:55:36 PST 2000

Lady Marguerite, Tudor Tent Maker Extraordinaire :) wrote:

> I had been send an article from a friend about the things they use to water seal the wool felt and binder for the sail and the tents. <SNIP>. The articles talked about a
> recent find of a viking ship and the materials was sealed with cows milk. The fat in the milk seems to be thick enough to water seal the materials as well as acting as a
> binder for the materials it self.

If memory serves, Duchess Lao of An Tir treated her first small yurt with a milk waterproofing.  Unfortunately, it made the tent smell like spoiled milk, with guaranteed her
neighbors camped a bit farther away.

I'd be interested in seeing what other types of waterproofing are period.  I know Duke Cariadoc tested beeswax on a tent before.  Any one know of any details on waterproofing
materials/methods?

Mira